Yesterday, I was gladly looking through my Goodreads account, proud that I had achieved my yearly reading goal; but today it has been cleared away, and a new goal must be set. As at the start of every year, I am left with the same problem. Out of the millions of the books that have been written, which ones am I to read this year?
Last year, I decided to take it easy on reading challenges, at least for a little while. The one challenge I considered doing last year, I actually completely forgot about–as in, I have absolutely no recollection of ever finding that challenge, and I definitely never started it. 2018 was a crazy year, and I think I lost my mind a little bit. But I’m back and ready to go.
This year, my main reading goal is to read books I already own. To help inspire me in this challenge, I am joining the 2019 Unread Shelf Project, hosted by @theunreadshelf on Instagram. As the title suggests, this is all about reading those unread books that have been sitting on my bookshelves, and it encourages participants to take a break from buying books (at least during some months). I don’t think I’ll be able to do that last part, but I will try to do the monthly challenges, which are as follows:
- January: any unread book
- February: a book gifted to you
- March: the book that’s been on your shelf the longest
- April: the book you most recently acquired
- May: a book you bought because of the movie/TV/theater adaptation
- June: a book about travel or set in a country you’ve never been to
- July: a book from a series on your shelf
- August: a book voted for you to read by bookstagram
- September: a book you can buddy read with someone
- October: a book that scared you, whether because of length, content, or actual horror level!
- November: a book from your favorite genre
- December: the shortest book on your shelf
I’ll be posting more about the particular books I choose to read on my Instagram @beautyandthemessblog. Join along yourself if you want to! Here are some of the books on my current to-read list, all of which are books that have been sitting on my shelf for a long while.